- Use energy-saving cycles. Apply the no-heat, air-dry feature. If your dishwasher does not have this feature, turn it off after the final rinse cycle and open the door so that the dishes can air dry.
- Wash full loads only.
- Proper amounts of detergent can eliminate a second wash. Fill your dishwasher according to the manufacturer’s instructions so that proper water flow cleans dishes thoroughly.
- Always choose the shortest washing cycle that will clean your dishes and scrape off heavy food accumulated before loading dishes into the dishwasher.
- Use your dishwasher’s “power-saver switch” if it has one to automatically eliminate the drying cycle.
- On hot days, wait to use your dishwasher until night. You will avoid adding heat in the house during the hottest time of the day.
- Set your dishwasher to “air-dry”